Friday, September 13, 2013

This is how I got Jolene

I never imagined myself owning a 4 foot python, it just sort of happened. I bet you don't hear that everyday.

Alex and I had often talked of getting a reptile, a lizard perhaps. Although, it never became a reality. Having a snake as a pet, however, was never something I thought about. Like most people I thought lizards weren't as creepy as snakes, and I had some experience with lizards. When I was younger we had an iguana. Until about 5 months ago I have never even held a snake. There were a few instances when I worked at a humane society where I met a few snakes, but I never felt comfortable enough to touch them. It wasn't until I got a job working for the DNR as a naturalist that I got to handle different kinds of snakes. Even though I started feeling comfortable around snakes, I still never thought of owning one.

Then one day my niece had a picture of a snake on facebook indicating that she was looking for a new home. I asked Alex jokingly, "Do you want to get a snake?" Then I started seriously thinking about it, and I eventually couldn't stop thinking about it. A couple weeks after seeing the picture on facebook, I called up my niece to find out more. I told her I still needed time to make a decision, but two days later I was driving to my hometown to pick up Jolene!

I brought along a cardboard box with duct tape because I didn't want there to be any chance of her escaping while I was driving down the highway. But we simply put her in a pillowcase, tied a knot in it, and plopped her in the passenger seat. It was odd to think that such a large snake was in such a small sack, curled up in a ball, sitting next to me on the way home.

Here's the first picture of her after getting home, she's very photogenic.





No comments:

Post a Comment